Thursday, October 20, 2011

Chipmunk Chewtoy

Sunday is going to be the best day of my life. After years and years of begging my parents for a pet as a child - I'm finally getting my wish. I am going to be a proud owner of a little puppy named Curtis.
My pride and joy.

Backstory: At a young age, I was fascinated by pets - and used to always fantasize of having one to call my own. At the age of 7, I used to travel up to my grandparent's cottage for weekends with the family. One of my favourite pasttimes was building little gadgets designed to capture one of the (many) chipmunks that ran the property, in hopes that I could make one my sidekick. My mother and her 2 sisters always used to encouraged my spirit, and supported my constuction efforts in building the perfect 'chippy' trap. One afternoon (after many failed attempts) I had constructed what I thought to be the most effective trap to date. My hopes were further confirmed by my mom, her sisters, and very sweet grandmother that I had built a work of genius that was sure to capture any willing chipmunk. As I was put to bed later that evening, I fell asleep with dreams of having a 'chippy' of my own to train and play with over the long days at the cottage. The next memory I have is of waking up to a panic stricken family, all encouraging me to go look at my trap. Convinced of my victory - I ran outside to the porch, to reap the rewards of my impressive efforts. Beneath the wooden cage, it was obvious that I had succeeded in my task - finally obtaining a furry friend to call my own. I approached my creation with a sense of urgency, and whipped open the trap door. All the while, my family was cheering and egging on my tackle - happy for my self-made achievement. It only took moments to realize that the object that sat sadly in my cage was not a breathing, nor living chipmuck, but a stuffed animal replica. To say the least, I was a wreck - bound in tears and sadness. What confused me more was the pure joy and laughter that escaped every single member of my family.... why are they so happy to see this stuffed animal?? This was well before the fame of Ashton Kutcher, so you can imagine how long it took for me to realize I'd been punk'd.
Still not funny.
 Suffice to say, the afterglow of making a joke of her son faded, and my mom then promised to buy me a pet. What came after is a whole other blog post that I can't wait to share - but the moral of the story is... I deserve this.

On another unrelated note; tonight I made burgers. I know, I know.. not exactly a skinabee item. However, if done properly - they really can be! I used lean ground beef, light mayonaise and onions - topped with a whole wheat bun. Honestly - the most delicious burger I've had in a LONG time, and the perfect compliment to such an amazing day.
Double or nothing.


Hope all you skinabees are well, and getting ready for the weekend! And by the way, if you're wondering what happened to the stuffed chipmunk? It's now Curtis' favourite chew toy.

XO
C




No comments:

Post a Comment